Healthy Families is a nationally recognized home visiting program that helps young parents raise children who are safe, healthy and ready to learn. Healthy Families Massachusetts is available to first- time parents who under 21 and are either pregnant or have a child who is less than 12 months old. Care Central VNA & Hospice is the lead agency providing Healthy Families services in this area. All services are free, voluntary and confidential.
Healthy Families provides the following to our participating families:
- Pre-natal education and support
- Information on infant and child development
- Basics of baby care – sleeping, feeding, bathing, etc.
- Child and home safety
- Nutrition information for parents and child
- Parent support and education group activities
- Positive discipline techniques
- Child developmental screenings and assessments
- Toilet training information and support
- Information to help delay subsequent pregnancy
- Connections to community resources such as housing, education, WIC, DTA, Early Intervention, child care, etc. as needed/requested
The program is participant–driven; families choose their own goals and areas of interest or need. Each family has a Home Visitor assigned to them and they will develop a close working relationship over the years they spend together. Both young mothers and fathers are encouraged to participate in the program.
Our Service Area
For towns not listed, please call us for more information.
Healthcare professionals, school nurses and guidance counselors, community service providers are encouraged to refer young families. Pregnant and parenting teens are always welcome to refer themselves as well. Once a referral is received, a home visitor will meet with the family so that they can develop a plan based on each family’s unique strengths and personal goals.
Monday – Friday
8:00 am to 4:00 pm
How to contact us:
Karen Culkeen, M.Ed
Healthy Families Program Director
978-632-1230, Ext 311
(Voice mail is confidential)